Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Neurologist: Second Round

Today I met again with my neurologist. This was mostly a follow-up, and it went very fast.

Basically: He doesn't know what's going on. He thinks it could be the syrinx causing my tremors, or it could be a side effect from one of my medicines, or it could be something else. But because of all the other junk going on, he doesn't want to give me medication that could possibly do nothing but add more side effects.

He does not think it is a result of my autoimmune system attacking my nervous system, because something would have shown up on my MRI if that was going on.

He wants me to do what the neurosurgeon said and return in October for another MRI. From there we'll see if the syrinx is bigger or smaller or the same. If my symptoms get worse, or I start having heat/chills, confusion or numbness when I have the tremors, I'm supposed to go in immediately. When/if it gets worse, I'll talk about having the surgery - until then, I should be able to cope without it.

2 comments:

Hannah Kingsley said...

What's a syrinx?

Alyssa, Midenian Scholar said...

A syrinx is a fluid-filled cavity within the spinal cord. Here's a fairly close picture to what mine looks like:
http://childrensneurosurgery.org/files/images/Syringomyelia.jpg

It can be caused by an injury, such as a fall or car accident (not me) or a tumor, or I was born with it (very rare).