Monday, June 8, 2009

Humira and Methotrexate

I started Humira two weeks ago. The shot is very painful - it burns pretty bad. So far the one time I tried to give it to myself, I yanked it out as soon as it started injecting. Laura has been doing it for me so far. I'm hoping I can ask a nurse to do it at Berry, at least until I get more used to the feeling.

Today I went in and got another shot in preparation for Methotrexate. I spoke with my Rheumatologist, and he says that as I up my dose (every week it goes up until I'm taking six pills once a week) I'll probably start feeling sick. Mom says that her friend who's on it plans a day of the week where she doesn't do anything, and that's her sick Methotrexate day. I'm trying to figure out how I can work this while working part time and doing college work. I was going to do it on a Saturday, but then if I wanted to hang out or if I was going somewhere for the weekend I'd be pretty useless. I guess I'll have to see how my schedule comes out.

My doctor said that if I get sick and it persists, it wouldn't hurt to call/come in. If I'm running a fever, I should definitely come in. I was wondering about that, since all these drugs are messing with my immune system.

So far I'm feeling better, though not perfect.

No comments: